The latest round of the read-a-thon Bout of Books has just ended. I’m extremely pleased with myself. I was actually able to read almost all of the books on my TBR and even wrote reviews for them (which will be posted soon)!
What is Bout of Books?
The Bout of Books is read-a-thon organized by Amanda Shofner and Kelly Rubidoux Apple. It began on Monday, May 14th and ended on Sunday, May 20th. Bout of Books is a low-pressure read-a-thon. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional.
What I Read:
- Sister’s Entrance by Emtithal Mahmoud: This poetry collection was an emotional rollercoaster. It tackles some very tough topics such as genocide, war, racism and prejudice in a very honest and brutal manner. While it was difficult to read at times, I’m glad that I did. I look forward to seeing more from this author.
- Star-Touched Stories by Roshani Chokshi: This collection of short stories was beyond beautiful. I love everything that Chokshi writes! It was magical, romantic, heartbreaking and exceeded all of my expectations. A must read for fans of the full-length novels The Star-Touched Queen and A Crown of Wishes.
- Waiting on a Bright Moon by J.Y. Yang: I’ve been meaning to read this short story for a long time. It’s completely unique and unlike anything that I’ve read before. I’m always amazed at how people can fit so many complex ideas into less than 50 or so pages and have it all completely click into place. I’ve added a bunch of the author’s other short stories to my TBR. I’m completely intrigued by their ideas.
I also started Amal Unbound by Aisha Saeed but ran out of time to finish it. I’m on page 193 and hope to have time to read the rest of it in the next few days. So far, I am really enjoying it. It completely deserves all of the positive reviews that its been receiving. 🙂
Did you participate in Bout of Books? What did you read?
It’s been a while since I did a read-a-thon so I’m very much looking forward to taking part in this round of Bout of Books. After previously posting that I was going to take a break, I all of a sudden felt like reading again. It’s funny how things happen like that. I’m trying to keep things simple and low pressure for this read-a-thon. Short stories, poetry and novels under 300ish words. I may add more but I feel that it’s better to start small and add if needed.
What is Bout of Books?
The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda Shofner and Kelly Rubidoux Apple. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, May 14th and runs through Sunday, May 20th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional.
Are you participating in Bout of Books? Have you read these books yet?
Bekka from Pretty Deadly Reviews has been hosting a spring round of Bookish Bingo this past March, April and May. The point of Bookish Bingo is to get as many bingos as possible. The more bingos, the more giveaway entries. All types of books (fiction, non-fiction, novellas) count, but you can only have one square per book. Also, for a book to count, it must have been read between June 1st and August 30th, 2017.
- Royalty: The Plantagenets: The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England by Dan Jones
- Family Drama: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
- Name in Title: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
- LGBT+: The Tiger’s Watch by Julia Ember
- A Sequel: The Thirteenth Gate by Kat Ross
- Romance: P.S. I Like You by Kasie West
Are you participating in this round of Bookish Bingo? How are you doing?
Bout of Books 17 has now ended! I didn’t read the 3 books I had hoped to, but still I made some good progress. I’m using various readathons and challenges to try to whittle down my NetGalley backlog and it’s working! I now have only 4 book in my NetGalley TBR and man does it feel good. I also haven’t requested any in ages. So. Much. Progress!
Anyway, I was able to read:
A Mortal Song by Megan Crewe | ★★★★ | review coming soon
When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore | ★★★★★ | review coming soon
I’m about 40% into And Then the Sky Exploded by David A. Poulsen. I don’t think I’ll finish much more of it today. I have to do some lesson planning and other work related things. I’ve been putting it off all weekend. Boo!
Did you participate in this round of Bout of Books? How did it go? ❤
The next Bout of Books begins on Monday August 22nd and I just realized I haven’t posted by TBR! Then again, it’s probably good that I held off. The past 2 weeks have been terrible for reading. I come home from work and all I want to do is sleep. When I do have free time the motivation just isn’t there. It’s killing me! *sobs*
I’m currently reading Blood of the Prophet by Kat Ross and hope to finish it this weekend, which means I can start a new book on Monday! 🙂
Books I Plan to Read:
Are you participating in this round of Bout of Books? Have you read these books yet? ❤
It’s that time again! 🙂 The next Bout of Books read-a-thon begins on Monday, August 22nd. It’s a week long read-a-thon that’s organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It’s low pressure, which is awesome. Challenges, giveaways and the grand prize are all optional. You can read as much or as little as you would like.
For all Bout of Books 17 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog.
Woohoo! The Bout of Books read-a-thon is now over and I’m really, really happy with my progress. It was my second read-a-thon and I definitely did a better job this time around. 🙂
First, I totally didn’t stick to my original TBR. I basically read what struck my fancy or short. That was my issue during my last read-a-thon, I was way too ambitious for my schedule and knew I had to be a lot more realistic this time.
In total, I finished 5 books/novellas! Yay! I started Wolfking on the fourth day, but didn’t make a lot of progress with it. I’m about 10% finished. I also started St. Lucy’s Home for Girls Raised by Wolves on the fifth day, but I knew that I wouldn’t make much progress. It’s another book I need to read for work and that means I’m taking lots of notes.
I’m really looking forward to the next Bout of Books read-a-thon, which will be from August 22nd to August 28th. Will you participate?