What a year! While the world has both frightened and angered me in equal amounts, reading and blogging has been a wonderful outlet for my anxiety and stress. I’m so happy that I created Rattle the Stars and can share my love for all things bookish with everyone. I cannot thank you all for visiting, liking and commenting on my posts. It means the world to me!
So, to wrap up my first full year of blogging, here is my End of the Year Survey! This survey was created by Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner and is in its seventh year! It’s quite long but a great way to reflect on the past year and look forward to 2017. Happy new year!🎉
Number of Books You Read: 118
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Genre You Read the Most From: Fantasy
1. Best Book You Read in 2016?
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going to Love More But Didn’t?
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
4. Book You “Pushed” the Most People to Read (And They Did)?
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
Kat Ross really knows how to write unique, engaging and swoony fantasy stories. I beyond loved The Fourth Element trilogy and can’t wait to see what she will come up with next! If you haven’t read The Midnight Sea or Blood of the Prophet do it NOW!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Yes, I love everything Leigh Bardugo and this book appears often in this post. Deal with it!
9. Book You Read in 2016 That You Are Most Likely to Re-Read Next Year?
I don’t really re-read books…I will skim through parts if I’m looking for something in particular but it’s very rare for me to actually sit down and read a book again and again. The only exception are the Harry Potter books. I must have read them at least a dozen times!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
11. Most memorable character of 2016?
Inej is just…I adore her so much! She’s been through so much. Literally through hell and back, but still remains loving and determined. She wants to benefit the lives of others and will stop at nothing to protect the ones she loves. EVERYTHING about Inej makes me heart burst.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016?
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read?
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From a Book You Read in 2016?
“I would have come for you. And if I couldn’t walk, I’d crawl to you, and no matter how broken we were, we’d fight our way out together-knives drawn, pistols blazing. Because that’s what we do. We never stop fighting.” — Leigh Bardugo (Crooked Kingdom)
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read in 2016?
17. Book That Shocked You the Most:
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!):
Kaz and Inej from Six of Crows/Crooked Kingdom! I will love these two forever and ever.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship of the Year:
I loved the friendship between Ada and Corinne! They would do (and often did) anything to help each other. This book totally put their friendship before anything else and didn’t involve a plot line where there was backstabbing, a love triangle or boyfriend stealing. Ahem!
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 from an Author You’ve Read Previously:
21. Best Book You Read in 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY on a Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
There’s just something about Luka that I just love. My heart bled for him in the novella Iron to Iron. I really need to pick up Blood for Blood to find out what happens to this loveable marshmallow.
23. Best 2016 debut you read?
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
25. Book That Put a Smile on Your Face/Was the Most FUN to Read?
26. Book That Made You Cry or Nearly Cry in 2016?
27. Hidden Gem of the Year?
The Fourth Element trilogy was amazing. Seriously, check it out!
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
29. Most Unique Book You Read in 2016?
30. Book That Made You the Most Mad?
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016?
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2016?
That would definitely be my review for Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco. I was beyond excited to recieve a physical ARC of the book and devoured it in one day. Best of all? The book exceeded my expectations and I cannot wait for the sequel.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I haven’t written many discussion posts (something I would like to do more of in 2017), but I am quite proud of my Twitter & Blogging post from this past July.
4. Best event that you participated in?
I joined my first ever street team, Knights of Whitechapel, in support of Stalking Jack the Ripper. I also completed my first readathons (ARC August and Bout of Books) which were a huge challenge for me due to work commitments. I’m looking forward to doing more in 2017.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016?
That would be finally starting this blog. Yay for almost one year of blogging! I lurked around bookish Twitter and visited blogs for ages but was so scared to start doing it myself. What if nobody read my reviews? Visited my blog? This year has been fantastic. 🙂
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
For me it would be balancing the time spent working on the blog with work/life commitments. Also, trying to ignore stats or followers. It becomes so consuming if you don’t remember why you are blogging. Of course it’s wonderful to have people reading and liking posts, but that wasn’t why I started Rattle the Stars.
7. Most popular post this year on your blog?
Strangely enough, my Top Ten Tuesday post on April 19th received the most views this year. I don’t think there was anything special about it, but I do appreciate all of the comments and views it received.
8. Post you wished got a little more love?
I’m very proud of my bookish playlists for Six of Crows, Outlander, Stalking Jack the Ripper, The Wrath and the Dawn and Rebel of the Sands. I haven’t done one in a long time, but I adore them to bits.
9. Best bookish discovery?
Probably the best (or worst if you are my bank account) discoveries this year have been the book inspired candle stores I found on Etsy. My personal favourites are Novelly Yours, From the Page and The Melting Library.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
1. One Book You Didn’t Get to in 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating for 2017 (non-debut)?
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
5. One Thing You Hope to Accomplish Or Do in Your Reading/Blogging Life in 2017?
There are tons of things! I would like to redesign the blog, finally create a tag (I’ve been wanting to for ages and have tons of ideas) and write more discussion posts.
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend to Everyone: