I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova
Release date: September 6th, 2016
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Genre: Young adult, fantasy
Nothing says Happy Birthday like summoning the spirits of your dead relatives.
I fall to my knees. Shattered glass, melted candles and the outline of scorched feathers are all that surround me. Every single person who was in my house – my entire family — is gone.
Alex is a bruja, the most powerful witch in a generation…and she hates magic. At her Deathday celebration, Alex performs a spell to rid herself of her power. But it backfires. Her whole family vanishes into thin air, leaving her alone with Nova, a brujo boy she can’t trust. A boy whose intentions are as dark as the strange markings on his skin.
The only way to get her family back is to travel with Nova to Los Lagos, a land in-between, as dark as Limbo and as strange as Wonderland…
I had high expectations for this book and it didn’t disappoint. Not one bit! I LOVED IT SO, SO MUCH…OMG!! *deep breaths* I fell in love with its colourful characters and Latin American inspired magic. Everything about it was so unique and unlike anything I’ve read before.
The book is about Alex, a bruja or witch, who has been given special powers that others seeing as a blessing, but she sees as a curse. To strengthen her powers, her family holds a Deathday ceremony, but Alex has other ideas. She tries to cast a canto or spell that would rid her of her powers. However, the canto backfires and instead her entire family are sent to Los Lagos, a magical realm with monsters and soul-filled rivers. Alex enlists the help of a brujo named Nova *sigh* to help guide her through Los Lagos to rescue her family.
- DIVERSITY and lots of it!
- The WELL DEVELOPED characters that you can’t help but love to pieces.
- NOVA and his cocky behaviour…enough said!
- The fantastic WORLD BUILDING.
- It has a BISEXUAL LOVE TRIANGLE. I haven’t seen that before so it’s super different.
- The MAIN CHARACTER IS BISEXUAL but it’s not done for shock and awe. It’s handled naturally and extremely well.
- Very cool magic. So much magic. YES! YES! YES!
- Just look at the cover! STUNNING I know!
- It has a PLOT TWIST ending!
- The PACE is fast. You just want to keep reading on and on.
Basically, I loved everything. I’m at a loss for words when trying to write this review. This is probably the first time ever that I’ve written a review right after finishing a book. All I can say is that this book made me insanely happy. I wanted to see what would happen but was so sad when it ended. Can I have the sequel like now please?