For those of you unfamiliar with OwlCrate, it is a monthly YA subscription box that features a newly released book as well as 3-4 bookish items that are set around a theme. The theme for March was “Writer’s Block”. This is what the box contained:
- A custom pack of bookish pins by Bookworm Boutique.
- Black and white Banned Book Socks from Out of Print Clothing.
- A 642 Tiny Things to Write About notebook from Chronicle Books. Some of the writing prompts are pretty awesome. I can totally see myself using them in my classroom.
- A white, Harry Potter inspired quill pen from Kikkerland. I believe other colours were also shipped as well?
- A hardcover copy of The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner (including a quote print and author postcard).
I hadn’t heard of this book before. It’s also not in the genre I usually read. The description sounds alright. To be honest, I won’t be rushing to read this book anytime soon. I’m not sure how I feel about OwlCrate’s book selections so far. I enjoyed Da Vinci’s Tiger from the December box, but since then have been pretty indifferent about the books I have received.
Uppercase is also a young adult book-of-the-month subscription box. You receive a recently published YA novel and some additional book-related items. This month the box (or cloth bag) contained:
- A ‘Read More’ magnet.
- Adorable quote couture earrings by JewelSuagr.
- A hardcover copy of Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton (including a signed bookplate and decals).
THIS BOOK! I have been so super excited about Rebel of the Sands. First, the cover. Gorgeous! Second, the plot. It’s a mixture of the Wild West meets the Middle East. There’s mythical creatures, a prince, gun battles…it all sounds wonderful to me. I can’t wait to read it!